Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A little something...





Once I heard that my dear friend Shannon and her hubby were expecting their first addition to their household, I knew that I had to find just the perfect little gift to express our happiness and excitement. And what better way to welcome a new little girl into the world than with a hand knit jumper!

I found this pattern in Debbie Bliss (of course!) and modified it slightly. I choose a pink and white yarn but decided not to include sleeves, as the pattern suggested. I instead made it a pullover that could be worn with or without a shirt underneath, making it great for all seasons. I also modified the neck and added in the split collar, which I thought would look adorable (all of which was by the seat of my pants, havning no pattern to go on, so who knew how it would turn out. Luckily it worked, because there is nothing worse than having to pull out your work!). So far, little Chloe is still too small to fit into it, but that's the great thing about growing babies - it will fit her one day!



I then heard that my boss was expecting a little boy, also his first, and in an attempt to earn some brownie points, I also knit something for his son - a white and blue vest, in honor of the Maple Leafs, which his dad is a fan of (not sure why...). I'm sure there will be more babies on the way, so more upcoming projects will certainly be in the works. I already have a new niece that might need a new outfit...

The great thing about knitting kid's clothes (as opposed to men's sweaters that take months and months...), is that the knit up so quickly! And there is something very rewarding about sewing in the last strand of yarn, putting it into a little box, and giving it away.

Plus, kid's clothes are huge sellers at the One of a Kind Show, for example. Matt's mom keeps encouraging me to open a booth there one year, but I think I need to build up some stock first. It's true that people will spend a pretty penny on hand knit goods for their young family members, so I am keeping this in the back of my mind for the future. I would love to be able to turn my passion for knitting and crafting into a career! I'll keep you all posted...


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always welcome comments! Please feel free to share...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...