Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Trivia Tuesday



Photo Credit: foodanddrinkphotos

Did you know that today is National Popcorn Day?!?! Probably not, because neither did I until just moments ago. But now that I know, I'm super excited to share with you some perhaps unknown popcorn trivia.

Did you know:
  • Popcorn was the first food to be deliberately microwaved.
  • In an average bag of popcorn, the number of yellow kernels will outnumber the white ones by 9 to 1.
  • Became a big snack food in theaters during the U.S. Great Depression.
  • Threading popcorn onto a string is a very common Christmas tree decoration during tough times.
  • The “Popcorn Capital of the World” is claimed by at least six mid-western states in the United States, but the majority of popcorn is grown in Nebraska and Indiana. Texas production is on the rise.
  • Kernels that do not pop at the correct temperature where they should are known in the popcorn industry as “old maids”. A popped kernel is known a “flake”. 
  • Popcorn kernels can pop up to 3 feet in the air.

And what goes better with popcorn than movies!? If you're like Matt and I (probably more like Matt), then you know that heading to the theatre means a big bag of buttery popcorn (just make sure that you buy enough for both of you to share!). So, let's test our knowledge today of Movie Trivia.

I hate to report that I only scored 20%... guess my movie knowledge is not that great! Good luck to you all, and let me know how you did.

And if you're in the mood for popcorn tonight, don't forget about my Caramel Popcorn Recipe...
 


 

 

1 comment:

I always welcome comments! Please feel free to share...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...