Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Why not make three?!?



Another one of my Christmas projects was to sew a bag for Matt's sister, Erin, who has recently gotten back into knitting. I was thinking just something small for her to keep one of her projects in, and for me, it was all about the choice of fabric. I also like to make things reversible (for you sewers out there, you know that it also means less seaming!), and that way, I get to pick out TWO fabrics!

While we were down in New Mexico, Matt took me to a fabric store, which mainly specialized in fabric for quilters. At first, I was hesitant to go in, as I'm not a quilter, but then the beautiful colours caught my eye, and with this project in mind, we spent a good 45 minutes in there (me browsing the fabric selection, Matt browsing the internet...thank goodness for Blackberry!). I was immediately drawn to the teals and browns, and found these two fabrics that I think compliment each other really well. And then Matt had a great suggestion (at least he thought so...). He suggested we make three bags, each one successively smaller than the previous, and give each to Erin and her two daughters. I, too, liked the idea, but that also meant a bit of added work.

But, after quickly sketching a pattern, I was able to knock out all three bags in just 2 days (we had a little sweat shop running out of our condo kitchen...). If you notice in at the very right of the picture above, you'll see a small coffee cozy, which I made for Erin's husband (I didn't think he needed a bag...). I also added their names to each bag with iron on letters, and I think they were a hit! Emily seemed to like hers....




I think these are really great little gifts to give, and I love making them. I sometimes make them as lunch bags, sometimes just totes, but they are really simple to sew up, and, let's be honest, a girl can never have too many bags/purses...




1 comment:

  1. Elizabeth, I am impressed with all the projects you've got going on! Amazing! It seems like every day there's a new one to write about... When do you find the time for all of them:)? I think you should open your own business...
    These bags are really nice, maybe I can find something similar here; somehow, they make me think of summer (maybe because they're colorful and I like all colorful things:))...
    I'm always looking forward to my lunch break just to see what projects are you up to now:)...
    Andreea

    ReplyDelete

I always welcome comments! Please feel free to share...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...