Friday, January 22, 2010

A Sneak Peek...



I have a new project in mind that I thought I'd give you a sneak peek at... The two yarns are from the same ball. "But how is that possible," you might ask? It is no trickery of the eye or camera... I am experimenting with dyeing my own yarn! (The one on the left was dyed purple.)

Yes, what better than to create your own colours if you can't find the ones you like in the yarn stores? I have been doing a lot of research on the web for different techniques and materials, and turns out everything you need can be found right in your kitchen. I got the inspiration when I mistakenly ordered the cream coloured yarn online, and when it arrived, I was a little disappointed with the colour (lesson learned! Shop in stores unless you know already what colour you want!). So then I realized that I could change the colour by dyeing it.

Turns out, food colouring works great! So does Kool Aid, for that matter (didn't you ever experiment with colouring your hair with Kool Aid?! I'm not speaking from experience...). I have already picked up the supplies (vinegar, rubber gloves, and food colour), so I am anxious to post the results of my first attempt. I'm still working on the project, however; my idea is to knit up two mittens (from the felted mitten pattern), and then dye them before felting them. I just finished one of them, and hope to have the other completed shortly... I'm not sure which colour I will go with, but my intention is to end up with a variegated version, where the colour is dark at the bottom and gradually lightens. 

Keep an eye out in the coming days for the results! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always welcome comments! Please feel free to share...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...