Thursday, January 28, 2010

Felted Laptop Case




Since I seem to be experiencing a bit of a felting bug as of late, my latest project was a birthday gift for Matt. For Christmas he received the cutest little laptop that tends to travel with us everywhere (I think that was the point), so I whipped up a cozy little felted case for it. Not only will it keep it safe and warm, its also pretty stylish (in a manly way...).
 
Knit in the Steelers Football colours (black and gold), the design is houndstooth, although after felting, it looks more like a checkered board. That just made me think that I need to go bigger the next time, which makes a whole lot of sense...the purpose is to shrink, after all! A black band at the bottom ties it together, and a flap at the top for easy access (although to be honest, the flap was supposed to fold over to make a pocket, but it didn't really work out that way...).

I didn't work from a pattern, per se. I measured the dimensions of the laptop, and then browsed the internet to see what I could find. I found a general formula that said to knit the width 1.2 times larger and the height 1.5 times larger than your desired dimensions (felting tends to shrink more in height than in width, but that also depends on the yarn, size of needles, stitch...). The case actually came out a bit smaller than I had planned (gotta love that trial and error...), but overall, I was happy with it. And Matt seemed to like it, too.

I love finishing a project and sharing it with you all for a number of reasons, but the two main reasons are: 1) I need things to blog about on this here blog; and 2) finishing one project means I get to start another!


I always have something on the back burner....






No comments:

Post a Comment

I always welcome comments! Please feel free to share...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...