Friday, March 05, 2010

The Sweetest Valentine


Although this post is a little tardy on my part, I wanted to share with you all the sweetest Valentine's gift that my fiance bought for me this year (despite us saying we were not going to exchange gifts...I guess I can't really be mad at him for thinking of me...). In any case, while we were browsing one of our favourite little stores on Queen St, Outer Layer, he spotted this book and, before I had a chance to see what caught his eye, immediately told me to leave him alone and go wander another part of the store. Part of me really loves when he does that, because it was obviously something that made him think of me (yes, I am one VERY lucky lady).

So, when we finally exchanged gifts, only a week late, I was very delighted to find the above book in a gift bag: Turn Your Creative Hobby into a Business. Not only was the gift such a sweet gesture to show that Matt supports my crafting addiction, but he also encourages me to try and make some money at it!

Sure, there a lot of good stories out there of crafty entrepreneurs (and bloggers...) who have succeeded at doing what they love, and I certainly day dream of one day actually being successful at selling my work (almost as often as I day dream of winning the lottery. I'm pretty sure that's going to happen tonight, FYI.). But as for opening my own business, this might be something I will aspire to down the road. For the time being, I think I need to hold on to the paying gig that I already have (because it also pays for the yarn...).  But, that's not to say that I can't start planning for that day to one day come; I'll just keep knitting away and begin building up some inventory.

It has been suggested to me by several people that I consider entering some craft shows in Toronto, which might be good starting point to see if my items actually sell, and to determine price point. For any of you out there with children and/or grandchildren, I know you've seen the price at which knitted clothes, toys, and accessories sell for...it's definitely a lucrative business.  Perhaps with this book, I'll find out exactly how to succeed...

On a Valentine's related note, even though we did end up exchanging gifts this year, we have now decided that, come all following years, instead of gifts (which we are going to stick to), we are going to donate blood instead. It's the gift that comes directly from the heart. Plus, free cookies!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always welcome comments! Please feel free to share...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...