Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Bread Diary - Wheat Stalk


For a family dinner a few weekends ago, I offered to bring the bread and the potato salad. With a new batch of dough resting in the fridge, I had been waiting to try this shape of dough for a while. It seemed the most interesting in the book, and the French name, Pain d'Epi, was given because of the shape of the bread - a Wheat Stalk.

I also thought this would be good one to make for the dinner. People could just tear the 'stalks', sort of like dinner rolls to spread with butter. Turns out that is exactly what we did, and it was good! I'm really liking this new batch of dough... it makes me feel healthier knowing there isn't just white flour in it.

Making the stalks was a bit more difficult than I first thought it would be. The baguette shape I first made was too long, so I opted to cut it in half and make two stalks. I don't think I rolled them out thin enough...but practice makes perfect. At least they were still edible...

1 comment:

I always welcome comments! Please feel free to share...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...