Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Jam it, Pickle it, Cure it!


I recently received a new cooking/baking book from my wonderful mother for my birthday (thank you, Mom, and a shout out to Matt for finding it!). It's filled with delicious ideas for desserts and snacks and other great treats, and it really was the cover of the book that caught my eye (and probably Matt's, too!). I had already been toying with the idea of making my own jams, but this book just takes it to a whole new level! I was very excited to flip through the pages to see what creative cooking I could do next... (I wish my kitchen has those fully stocked shelves!)

If you can't read the fine print in the top corner, let me enlarge it for you here, because you must all know that two of the three are probably some of my favourite foods. And now this book is telling me I can make them?!?! A-MAZING! I immediately had to flip to those pages to see what was required in regards to equipment, time, resources, and of course, space. Turns out, not that much! The cheeses, as I guessed, are a softer cheese, like ricotta. I don't think I'll actually be able to make my own hard Cheddars, but the bacon is actually a pretty easy recipe. I think the only thing I'm lacking is a smoker, but I think I know friends who might have one to borrow, especially if they get to try the bacon.

The book has a website with a few of the recipes, including the bacon, so feel free to browse HERE. There is also a blog to follow, but it doesn't get updated nearly as often as mine.... =)

So, what to make first. Guess you'll just have to wait and see. Ok, you know I won't keep you in suspense that long... probably just until tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I've read that book. It has some very interesting things in there. You need to find a country place because I'm sure you must be a country girl at heart! Happy Smokin'

    ReplyDelete

I always welcome comments! Please feel free to share...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...