Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Summer Bruschetta

Ok, I can admit it. I've been getting pretty lazy during these summer days. Work has slowed down a bit, and the hot and muggy weather makes me kind of tired, to be honest. And with the amount of traveling and visiting we've been doing, it doesn't seem like much baking or cooking or knitting is getting done (or posted about!!). But, the start of August has given me new energy after a relaxing long weekend, and I'm back at it!

And to assure you all, the bread making still continues, quite regularly in fact, but today I thought I'd share with you a recipe to use on freshly made bread or a nice store-bought baguette - bruschetta!! A couple of my bread loaves have been used to make these delicious appetizers (which we have actually served as a side dish), and having found a new farmer's market just steps outside our door, it's a great way to make use of the summer produce. The recipe itself is made equally easy by using a pre-made bruschetta mix from Epicure (a great line of spices and seasonings to make a huge array of dishes. I love my Epicure!). My base if from the recipe is on the side of the jar, with a few additions.  

Ingredients
  1. 2 cups diced tomatoes
  2. 1 tbsp olive oil
  3. 1/4 cup diced red onion
  4. 1/2 tsp lime juice
  5. zest of 1 lime



Halve the tomatoes and remove seeds, then finely dice into small, bite size pieces. Finely dice the red onion and combine with tomatoes in a medium bowl. 







Add the lime zest, lime juice, and olive oil and toss.








Sprinkle the Epicure Bruschetta spice mix and combine thoroughly. I also recommend making at least a day beforehand to let the flavours really intensify.


Just before you're ready, slice your bread into thin slices, brush with olive oil or butter and broil in the oven to a golden brown. Then spoon on a good helping of bruschetta, top with feta, if you're so inclined, and....crunch! Enjoy.




This is a great little snack that can be done on the bbq, too, if you don't want to heat up your oven.  

1 comment:

  1. omg I am so making this sometime this week; looks SO good!!

    ReplyDelete

I always welcome comments! Please feel free to share...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...