Monday, July 26, 2010

Bread Diary - Peasant Loaf


So, finally we get to the part in the book where we start using some different types of flour. This Peasant Loaf calls for a mixture of Rye flour, whole wheat flour, and white flour. I found the combination turned out a very nice bread, and was perfect for toasting for breakfast, or with peanut butter and honey for lunch. That seems to be how most of the bread gets used up. But I am saving some slices for a bread salad that I am hoping to make in the near future...

This loaf turned into garlic bread for the homemade lasagna I made for dinner this past week, and it was goooood (both the bread and the lasagna. I think I've finally found the trick to non-runny lasagna, and that's to let the sauce simmer for a couple hours, if you have the time). Of course, in my opinion, anything toasted with butter, garlic, and Parmesan cheese would be delicious. And its kind of funny that we never buy bread any more. It's nice to be able to pull a freshly baked loaf out of the oven, and it only took about 5 minutes to make it! I'm not sure why anyone would ever buy bread again after having found this book...



2 comments:

  1. Now you're 'talkin'. That bread looks very delicious! Still waiting for the book. I guess I may just have to go buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should definitely buy it! I don't think I could part with it to return it to the library. Of course, the recipes are pretty easy to remember...

    ReplyDelete

I always welcome comments! Please feel free to share...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...