Friday, July 23, 2010

Wilno-Inspired Perogies


Last year I was introduced to an annual event at the Reid Family Cottage - Live Music and Polish Food at the Wilno Tavern. In a little town called Wilno, not far from the cottage, we drive on over to enjoy the cabbage rolls and perogies, all the while listening to some great live jazz/blues music performed by the local band (throw in some very unique dancers, and folks, you've got yourself a great night out!). This year we again headed out for a great dinner...and the food inspired me to make my very own perogies at home.

A great story that Matt would love for me to share with you is my re-occurring "Big Eyes, Small Belly Syndrome", in which I look at the menu, and seeing that we have the choice between 2 perogies and 3, I, of course opt for the 3, and even then, I think it won't be enough. But these suckers are huge! And while I'm full after the first two, I feel have to finish the third just to prove to Matt that I did not choose the wrong portion (and yes, I have learned my lesson for next year when we go back...). Well, I was full by the end of that little battle... but others had room for dessert, and had I read the menu more closely, I would have chosen only the 2 perogie option and gotten a dessert, too. Alas, another learning experience... The desserts looked scrumptious! Matt chose the apple pie, while our Uncle Doug had the caramel chocolate cheesecake...

I found that making perogies were not unlike making ravioli - the dough is very similar, as is forming and shaping. Matt and I spent some quality time together rolling out the dough and forming into little perogie pockets, and for a first attempt, they were pretty good! We didn't make ours quite as big as the Wilno Taverns, and we cooked enough to freeze extras for another meal. Hopefully the frozen batch will be just as good. I've included the recipe below, with some follow-along photos.

Ingredients

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
2/3 cup cold water
1 pound bacon
5 pounds baking potatoes
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 pound bacon
3 tablespoons sour cream
salt and pepper to taste

Directions

To Make Dough: In a medium bowl combine the flour, salt, egg and water. Mix all together to form dough; cover bowl and set aside.

To Make Potato Filling: Place potatoes in a large pot. Add water to cover, bring to a boil, and boil for 25 to 35 minutes or until tender. Remove potatoes from water and mash. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble about 2/3 of the bacon, reserving the rest for browning the perogies, and stir into mashed potatoes. Stir in cheese and season with salt and pepper.


Roll reserved dough out on a floured surface. Cut circles out of dough, using a small round container. Place a spoonful of potato filling in the center of each circle and fold over, pinching edges together to seal. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil; drop perogies in boiling water and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until they float.



If desired (always recommended), fry with onions and bacon until browned. Serve with sour cream and/or salsa, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always welcome comments! Please feel free to share...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...