Monday, July 19, 2010

Bread Diary - Crusty White Sandwich Bread


I realize the name of the bread might not be that appetizing... but to finish off the last of my white dough mixture, I made a sandwich loaf for Matt to enjoy his peanut butter sandwiches on at the office, and for myself to enjoy a few pieces toasted for breakfast, too.

This bread is baked up in a loaf pan, and therefore really easy to prepare. It had to rest on the counter for about an hour and half, probably the longest resting time, and then only 35 minutes in the oven. You take it out, let it cool, then slice it up. I don't know if we'll ever go back to buying store bought bread again! The next thing on my to-buy list is a bread slicer, like the mechanical one they have at the grocery stores in order to get nice uniform slices, but for now, I guess we'll to to stick with a knife and cutting board. Although.... I did just come across this link for a bread slicing guide made out of wood (and another on Amazon for something similar). Perhaps my talented father could whip up something similar...  

Since this was the last of the batch, the dough had really increased in flavour, adding a very nice sourdough scent and taste. And, since that used up that last batch, I can now move onto the next chapter in the book...the peasant loafs!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always welcome comments! Please feel free to share...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...