Friday, July 16, 2010

Bread Diary - Finally...a Pizza Peel!

To accompany our chili the other night, I also made just a simple white loaf of bread that we could use to dip in the chili, so, nothing really new for you guys. But the really exciting thing for me, was that just this past Saturday I found myself a pizza peel! A peel is what pizza makers use to move the pizza crust into the hot wood oven stove, and so the same principle applies when baking bread and transfering the resting dough onto the hot pizza stone in the oven.


This may not be as interesting/exciting to you as it is for me, but I had been looking for a peel for a while now and couldn't seem to find it in any of the kitchen stores. But I finally found one at Crate & Barrel, which has also become my new favourite kitchen store (we didn't browse too long). The dough now rests nicely on the floured peel, and when its time to move to the oven, it's just a simple little flick of the wrist onto the hot stone. It slides off very nicely, keeping it's shape and form.



And voila! When it's time to come out of the oven, the peel makes it a whole lot easier to grab the bread from the oven. I had been making do with floured cutting boards and flippers and tongs, but they were often floppy and didn't allow the dough to move as nicely when moving into the stove. So, with my new pizza peel, I am one happy baker!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always welcome comments! Please feel free to share...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...