Thursday, July 15, 2010

Fa-Guy-Ta Chili


The Food Network really has some great cooking shows, and aside from Chef at Home, another favourite of mine is Guy's Big Bite. Sure, Guy himself can be a bit annoying at times, but he really likes to cook with some great flavours and gives new twists to some old favourites. One dish in particular caught my eye, and I've been waiting to cook it for probably about 2 months now. It's a variation on chili, which I know Matt really loves, and Guy serves it up with a side of grilled steak that has been marinated overnight.

So, off to the St. Lawrence Market I went to pick up a steak, and turns out, we got enough for two night's worth! I cut the steak in two but marinated and grilled both halves, and the second half will be used for fajitas for dinner one day next week.

I've had to make a few tweaks to the recipe, using what spices and ingredients I had in the house, but I think it turned out how it was supposed to. I mean, we enjoyed it, so that has to say something... I'll post the recipe as Guy cooks it, but feel free to swap out or switch up ingredients that you enjoy better. (Side note, I didn't take step-by-step photos while making this, but I do think I will continue to do so going forward, as I did with the broccoli soup. That way you all can follow along. It will kind of be like my very own cooking show...)

Ingredients

Marinade:
1/2 cup tequila
1/4 cup canola oil
2 limes, zest from 1, juice from both
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon hot paprika, smoked if possible
2 teaspoon dark chili powder
1 tablespoon Mexican oregano
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon adobo sauce
1 chipotle pepper, roughly chopped
2 pounds skirt steak, trimmed of fat

Chili Base:
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 yellow onions, peeled and chopped
1 serrano pepper, seeded and finely chopped
2 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons chili powder
3 tablespoons ancho chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 cups low-sodium beef stock
1 (28-ounce can) diced tomatoes with green chiles, juice reserved
1 (28-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1 orange bell pepper, seeded and sliced
3/4 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
3/4 cup sour cream
2 avocados
1 lime
warm tortillas to serve

Directions

Marinade:
Add all the ingredients to a resealable plastic gallon bag. Mix well and let the steak marinate in refrigerator for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours.

Chili base:
1. Add the canola oil into a Dutch oven and heat over high heat. When the oil is hot stir in the onions, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.

2. Add the serrano pepper and garlic and cook for 2 minutes more.

3. Add the chili powders and cumin, and stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute, then add the beef stock and deglaze the pan, Stir in the tomatoes and beans and combine well. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

4. Preheat a grill pan over medium heat.Remove the meat from the marinade, pat dry, put on the preheated grill pan and cook for 5 minutes per side. Add the chayote and peppers to the pan with the meat and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.

5. Remove the meat from the grill to a cutting board, let rest for 5 minutes and then slice it against the grain.

6. Ladle some of the chili into each bowl and top with some of the meat and vegetables. Garnish with cheese, sour cream, avocado, and lime and serve with a warm tortilla.

Instead of warm tortillas, I served mine with a fresh loaf of white bread. I have to make good use out of that cook book, after all. And we had enough chili leftover for dinner the next night, and it was just as good! I think next time I make this, however, I'd switch the skirt steak out for stewing beef. That makes eating it a little bit easier, and it would probably be just as tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always welcome comments! Please feel free to share...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...