Tuesday, April 27, 2010

And so continues the eating...

It seems that this blog has turned into more about food as of late, but that's just because I seem to have more time to eat and cook then craft, currently. My work is certainly keeping me busy, but let's face it, we all have to eat! I can't say the same thing for knitting, although I am getting more done.

On a completely side note, before I get more into the topic of food, a recent Jeopardy category was all about knitting! Needless to say, I was very excited. But it turned out that Matt actually had more correct answers than I, as the questions were not directly knitting related... but if they were, well, Matt, watch out!


Ok, on to Saturday and the food eating that continued throughout the weekend. Saturday was one of those days where we found ourselves with no food in our fridge, having been out of town the weekend before, so before we headed to the grocery store, we took a leisurely morning stroll to have brunch. We stopped at a little cafe by our place to enjoy a healthier version of brunch, for a change. Look, no bacon! Instead, I enjoyed scrambled eggs and cheese on a sesame seed bagel. This was one of the freshest bagels I had ever had and I quite enjoyed the meal! Matt decided on a bowl full of fruit, yogurt, and granola, and a bagel on the side. This was one brunch that we actually felt pretty good about eating. Most other times we leave very full of greasy bacon and potatoes, but we always justify eating that way with the walk to get to and from the restaurant.


Even though this brunch was not that fatty, we still continued our Saturday morning by walking up to Kensington market to pick up a few items for our other meals that weekend. We stopped by a little taco shop to pick up some fresh tortillas for our dinner that night (we opted for the freshly made corn ones and opted out of making them ourselves, as they can be quite labour-intensive), and then to the butchers for a cut of nice flank steak. It really is so much cheaper to buy your meat there instead of the grocery store, and the quality is probably better! I think we'll continue to visit the butcher for all our meat needs.

When planning out our menu for this week, there seemed to be a lot of chicken recipes, so Matt suggested steak fajitas for dinner that night instead. And what a great suggestion indeed! We had just received some new steak seasonings and were anxious to try them out on our indoor grill. Even though the meat was a little tough (Matt assures me that flank steak usually is, and I didn't overcook it), the fajitas were a hit! When it comes to food, though, it really isn't that hard to make us happy.... remember street meat on Friday?

Wait until you see what we had planned for dinner Sunday night...


1 comment:

  1. I love your posts about food! I get inspired by them actually. I am Ken and Elva's daughter, in case you were wondering. I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete

I always welcome comments! Please feel free to share...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...