Monday, May 03, 2010

It's the little things in life....

I'm sure some of you will agree that it really is the little things in life that make us the happiest. Like the current sunshine and warm weather...who can be upset by that?!?  Or afternoon naps.... ahhhh, nothing like afternoon naps, not that I had one this afternoon (honest!). Actually, on the subject of naps, when Matt and I were in the bookstore the other day, we picked up a book called the Book of Awesome - little snippets of things in life that really are awesome (naps were one of them...). While we stood reading several pages, laughing aloud and nodding our heads in agreement, about three more couples stopped to do exactly the same thing (we're kind of trendsetters that way...). Worth a borrow from the library, at the very least.


Other than naps, for me, a new ball of yarn can bring a certain giddiness to my step.  And I owe it all to the encouragement of my dear husband who suggested a trip to the yarn store this past Saturday (after our usual croissants and coffee, of course!). Can you believe I was reluctant to go at first, thinking that I already had too many projects on the go (more on that later...)? I did go looking for a particular yarn for a new project that I had in mind, but, sadly, they didn't carry it. Of course, I couldn't help but browse the isles to see what else they had. I finally landed on the above yarn - the colours were so bright and cheerful! It's all the colours of the rainbow, and the fun thing about these variegated yarns, is you really have no idea how they will knit up, so each row is kind of exciting on its own (for non-knitters, this must seem very dorky, like watching paint dry, but it really is more exciting than it sounds...). In any case, I have already changed project ideas about 4 times, and have finally settled on the perfect one now, something that will fully utilize the colours of the yarn.


This new project also gave me the perfect reason to try out a new knitting tool that my mother gave me (thank you again, Mom!) - a set of inter-changeable circular needles. This colourful set of needles range from the smallest to the biggest, and has various lengths of cording. This is great for working on all varieties of projects that require circular needles. They are coming in particularly handy for the my latest project - a baby sundress. I'll be sure to let you know how the colours unfold...

Besides the sundress, I've got a couple stuffed animals on the go. I have a reversible elephant/lion working slowly up, but that one seems to be on hold as of late (it's my bedside knitting project, which as been replaced with travel books on Italy at the moment...) But I am working on twin teddy bears in a lovely variegated yarn (perhaps my newest obsession with knitting as of late, can you tell...). They are my TV project for when we're watching the Jays game. I also have a car project (a shawl for Erin from LAST Christmas... We gave her the ball of yarn and said I would make it up, so I really should get on that...), but we haven't gone on too many long drives lately. But now that cottage season is shortly upon us, so I'll need to pick that up again, plus have a cottage project! Man, I'm going to be busy!

To give you a sneak peak of the bears, take a look below: From the ball of yarn to a cute little bear tush or two!


Can you start to see why knitting with variegated yarns can be an exciting process?? You almost couldn't tell that each of these is from the same ball of yarn, but indeed they are. They are close to being finished, so I'll be posting them shortly. Currently, they are not destined for anywhere in particular... They might just hang out with us around the condo for a bit.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always welcome comments! Please feel free to share...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...