Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Recipe #13: Slow-Cooker Short Ribs


This was a dish we had while we were at Erin and Brad’s a while back, and by we, I mean Matt (I was unfortunately under the weather and didn’t get to enjoy them). I had picked up the same slow-cooker recipe magazine that Erin had, so I was excited to give these a try after Matt’s raving review.

We headed to the butcher’s to pick up the baby back ribs, but all they had left were short ribs. I wasn’t sure if it would turn out the same, but I was willing to give it a go. So we bought enough for just the two of us and headed back home.

You probably already know how much I love the slower cooker; it does all the work while you do whatever else. It fills your house with wonderful scents of food, and the food is just lovely and juicy. I haven’t yet been disappointed by a meal done in the slow-cooker, and I’m always on the lookout for new ones. So this one for ribs was right up my alley.

And good news – you can substitute the short ribs for the baby back. They turned out just as delicious, and Matt was right – these ribs are wonderful! I can’t wait to have them again. Seriously, when can I cook them again?

INGREDIENTS

FOR THE RUB:
2 tbsp brown sugar
4 tsp salt
4 tsp chili powder
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp garlic powder

FOR THE RIBS
1 medium red onion, sliced
½ cup cola
2 slabs pork baby back ribs (about 4 lbs total), rinsed, patted dry, and trimmed
1 cup bbq sauce

DIRECTIONS

COMBINE all dry ingredients in a small bowl and thoroughly coat ribs with the rub, using all the mixture.

ADD onion and cola to slow cooker. Place ribs on top, cutting to fit if necessary. Cover; cook until ribs are tender, on high-heat for 3 ½ -4 ½ hours or on low-heat for 6-7 hours.

PREHEAT broiler to high with oven rack 6-8 inches from heating element. Transfer ribs to a foil-lined baking sheet; brush ribs with sauce. Broil until sauce is caramelized, about 5 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. You can make them again whenever you want.....I will gladly continue to eat them

    ReplyDelete

I always welcome comments! Please feel free to share...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...