Friday, April 01, 2011

Recipe #11: Linguine with Tomatoes and Basil

This week’s recipe was at the request of Matt and was a recipe passed along to me by his Aunt Megan. Lately we’ve been enjoying a weekly tradition of having pasta with a bottle of wine Friday nights, so this one fit in just nicely. Plus, one of the main ingredients was one pound of brie, so how could this NOT be an enjoyable meal? And if you like garlic, this recipe should be right up your alley.

I had thought first I might be ambitious to make my own pasta, which I’ve done before, but once Friday night hit, I really didn’t feel all that motivated to whip out the KitchenAid. Besides, the box of pasta sitting in the cupboard was oh so convenient. All the other ingredients we pretty much had in our fridge, except the cheese, so I popped out during lunch that Friday to a local cheese shop to pick up the brie. I stored it in the office fridge too keep cool, but, wouldn’t you know it, I left the office the day without it! (I even thought to write myself a note, but thought, no, I can remember.) It wasn’t until about 3 stops past my office on the subway that I remembered it was still sitting in the fridge. I actually got off the subway, thinking I might go back and pick up, but then decided to just pick up another wedge at a grocery store instead. I did eventually remember to bring it home, which we enjoyed the following Saturday with crackers for a midday snack.

This story reminds me of another funny story; I picked up a bottle of red wine for one of Friday dinners, and while walking home, I switched hands and dropped and smashed the entire bottle on the floor of the underground! I was actually quite sad and stood there for a minute not quite knowing what to do. I eventually left and told maintenance that there was a spill. Now it’s Matt’s job to carry the wine….

INGREDIENTS
4 large ripe tomatoes, diced
1 lb. brie cheese torn into irregular pieces
1 cup fresh basil leaves shredded
3 garlic cloves minced
1 cup + 1 tbsp olive oil
2 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

DIRECTIONS
COOK linguine and drain.
TOSS with all ingredients and serve with freshly grated parmesan.

Serves 4 - 6 people.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always welcome comments! Please feel free to share...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...