Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Cooking for Two - the book


I'm sure I've probably mentioned once or twice (or six or seven times...), that one of my favourite cooking magazines is Cooking For 2 that I picked up last summer. I've yet to find another edition of this elusive magazine, but there's been enough recipes to keep us fed and happy that I keep going back to it. The best part, as you can guess from the title, is that the portion sizes are perfect for couples. Every time I'm browsing the magazine selection at any number of stores, I always keep an eye out for another edition but always come up empty handed. Even the website doesn't seem to have back issues available, so I've pretty much given up my search...for that particular magazine.

But my latest obsession, believe it or not, is the Toronto Public Library. They have an unbelievable selection of books, and you can order them to be delivered to the closest location (ours is a mere 2 minute walk).  Browsing the online catalogue couldn't be easier, and a simple click means you're one step closer to your book arriving at your desired destination. Sure, there are downsides... like when a really popular book is in demand, the waiting list can be a bit long (I am currently number 1867 on the list for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo...).  But I did find a cooking book that peaked my interest: Cooking for 2, 2010 Edition. This is a collection of the best recipes from the year from America's Test Kitchen magazine, cut down to size for 2 people.

But this isn't just a book of recipes! It's actually a great read, too. The  premise of America's Test Kitchen is that they test out different ingredients and ways to make recipes, and they write about what worked and what didn't. So, it really is interesting to see how they ended up with the final recipe that they print in the book. I'm only through the first chapter and already there are so many recipes that I'm dying to try! And some, my friends, even include fish... but no mushrooms. I'm not ready to compromise on the mushrooms...

The downside is that the book is only a loaner, so I only have it for a limited time (which reminds me, I should probably renew it...). But after reading through the book, I'll have a better idea if its one I'd like to pick up at the store. Plus, if you noticed, I mentioned the 2010 edition... that means there are more! I've already got the 2009 edition on hold at the library.

Let the cooking adventures begin!

1 comment:

  1. Love the library and I really LOVE that your cook book is from the library at the end of my street!! TPL RULES!

    ReplyDelete

I always welcome comments! Please feel free to share...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...