Wednesday, April 04, 2012

A Teddy Bear for Rowan


You probably know by now that I think a great gift for kids are knitted stuffed toys. Ever since I knit my first one, I was hooked, and knowing that the child will not outgrow it (at least in size), and that they will get some enjoyment from playing with it, the knitted toys are still my go-to for birthday gifts.

I’ve already knitted up quite a collection that have since found new homes: a giraffe, a hippo, a frog, an elephant, a penguin, and a small bear. I like to think that these toys have become favorites of the kids I’ve given them to, and I was happily delighted when my good friend Shannon told me her little girl can’t get enough of her pink hippo. So much so, she has requested a second in case the first one gets too much love. And maybe a penguin so the hippo has a friend. Since these are fun to knit, I, of course, am happy to oblige.


But first, let me share with you this teddy bear, which I knit for my friend Christine’s little boy. I knitted this stuffed bear, keeping it neutral in colour and adding a little blue scarf to finish it. I thought it was a cute little gift for a very cute little boy.

The thing I like best about knitting these toys is that you can have a lot of fun choosing the colours. They don’t have to be traditional and they don’t have to be expensive. Often I’ll find I have enough yarn in my stash to finish a project, and then it feels good to both create something and use up extra yarn. But of course, shopping for new yarn is always the most fun, as with any project. I’ll be heading to my yarn stash to see what I can find for the Hippo for Chloe, but if nothing strikes my fancy, I might just have to head to my new local yarn shop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always welcome comments! Please feel free to share...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...