Monday, March 28, 2011

Crafty Find: Yarn Bombing

Have you heard about this? Perhaps you've seen it around town. Maybe you have no idea what I'm talking about! This week’s crafty find is all about yarn bombing.

I stumbled across some great examples when I found this little gem of a site (knithacker), which encouraged me to do a bit more research on the topic. I had seen pictures before on the web that had always peaked my interest, and a quick Google image search will reveal plenty to take a look at. I’ve include a few good ones to whet your appetite, but feel free to follow the link for a bigger collection. They come in all shapes and sizes; some are big undertakings, while others just leave a little piece behind.  

 According to Wikipedia:

“Yarn bombing, yarnbombing, graffiti knitting, guerrilla knitting, or yarnstorming is a type of graffiti or street art that employs colorful displays of knitted or crocheted cloth rather than paint or chalk. While yarn installations – called yarn bombs or yarnstorms – may last for years, they are considered non-permanent, and, unlike graffiti, can be easily removed if necessary. The practice is believed to have originated in the U.S. with Texas knitters trying to find a creative way to use their leftover and unfinished knitting projects, but it has since spread worldwide.”

The most recent yarn bomb I’ve seen includes some clever marketing, using a QR code that smart phone users can scan to get more information. I think this is such a great way for artists/crafters to differentiate themselves.

I’m sure there is much more I could share with you on the subject, but I’ll leave you with this last piece of info: June 11th is International Yarn Bombing Day. I’ll be keeping an eye out for some knitted graffiti; perhaps you’ll do the same near you. It might be fun to join in with the spirit of the day and leave a little something behind, too. Looks like I have a bit of time to think about it. Anyone want to plan something together?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always welcome comments! Please feel free to share...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...