Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Viva Italia Yarn!

Matt and  I just got back from a wonderful two week honeymoon in Italy. It was by far the best vacation I've been on, and Italy had lots to offer. I'd be lying if I said we didn't partially pick Italy because of it's very attractive and delicious food, but the sights we saw were equally as wonderful. 


I'll be sharing more of said food and gelato and coffee in coming posts, but I'd be remiss if I didn't post something on the Italian wool I picked up in Florence. Prior to leaving for Italy, I finished reading the sequel to Friday Night Knitting Club, in which some of the club take a trip to Italy. I didn't know this when I started the book, so it was a nice surprise and made me look forward to our trip even more. Of course, when they mentioned knitting and the yarn in Italy, I thought I should do a bit of research to see if there were any good shops in the cities we would be visiting. 


Turns out there was. I had read about a little shop by the Duomo, and after a quick bite to eat one afternoon, we stopped in to see what their selection was like, and to see what an Italian wool store compared with ours back home. It was a nice little store, and the selection was pretty good. Most of the yarns didn't have labels on them, so I didn't necessarily know what I might be purchasing, but there was a lot to choose from. And the prices... really unbelievable! We got to the store about 12.30, just a few minutes before their afternoon closing, so luckily we didn't have to come back (I think Canada should adopt the afternoon seista closing hours!). 




My eye was immediately drawn to this lovely grey yarn; the different shades intertwined together I thought made such a great find, and the sign said only 1.50 Euros/50 grams. Not sure how much one ball would weigh, I took it up to the sales clerk to ask. Turns out, each one is only 50 grams, so I picked up three in the hopes of knitting myself my very own Italian...something or other. I limited myself to only three balls, but in hindsight, at that price, I should have picked up way more (you know my history of running out of yarn, afterall...). 


Along with the yarn, I noticed a big Italian fashion trend for bulky sweaters, scarves, and hats, for both men and women, and found this to be quite interesting and great for inspiration. I snapped a few photos to bring home for later use. You can see that grey is the IT colour for fall.  


Upon returning home, I had ideas of a cabled scarf similar to those I'd seen in the window displays, but my first attempt told me this wasn't the yarn for that (on revisiting that attempt, I think the needles were too small). My next thought was to knit a plain vest pullover, but after knitting several rows of that, I quickly realized I wouldn't have enough yarn to complete the project. So, idea number three is currently on the go: a moss-stitch scarf. I know, not the most exciting, but when I wrap it around my neck on a cold winter's day, I'll remember our time in Italy. 



1 comment:

I always welcome comments! Please feel free to share...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...